Re: Burning Man anyone?

I've not been to Burning Man, though I've heard from friends about all of
it.  Besides the dust and dirt, I think the only thing I'd be concerned
with
would have to do with some yahoo getting it into his head that I "wasn't
participating enough," (read, "wasn't like him/her") and getting on my case
forever about it.  I understand this aspect to be a proud one of the
Burning
Man environment, which I suppose is necessary for regular folks who would
otherwise just be home watching TV, but would no doubt inspire me to modes
of seething fury I've not encountered before.

And the dust and dirt too.  Perhaps someday when I have a car that can
survive the trip, so I can leave when I'm done with it.

This brings up an aspect of gigging that others no doubt have encountered
with open-ended, free-form environments like Burning Man: When Does One
Leave?  When you've had enough?  When your part of "the gig" is over?  When
they start throwing fruit?

I've been going to an event that pre-dates Burning Man, if not also the
Rave-as-concept, for nearly nine years (see the Studios site about "Songs
from a Tunnel" at http://www.earthlight.net/Studios.html) - this was
primarily a Drum Circle kind of event in the beginning, and evolved into a
multi-instrument event, which changes each year I go.  The acoustics are
weird and wonderful.  One year, a fellow brought a deep saxophone, and
played it from one end of the tunnel; and, at the other end, I accompanied
on eBow-acoustic guitar, muttering "I've got a thing about chickens,"
between riffs.  It's never gone more than one night, I've always been up
all
night for it, and just headed home in the morning after someone makes
coffee.  In addition I must say that I learned playing in front of people
(gasp!) up at this venue, and always look for an opportunity to go, fire
permitting.  (Right now there's a fire at the bottom of Schumaker
Canyon/East Fork, and if it denudes the entire countryside, there won't be
any warnings about campfires, since there won't be anything left to burn!)

Stephen Goodman       * It's the free Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight Productions * http://www.earthlight.net/Studios.html
*
(Hear the NEW "Star Spangled Banner" here!)