Re: quad looping

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding quad panpots, etc.  Keep 'em
coming!

I settled on quad as a compromise between portability and ability to
immerse the
audience in sound.  Currently, it takes me a long time to set-up,
primarily due
to the number of instruments I like to use.  [Approximately 2 hours each
time I
move the stuff.  One gig means 8 hours cumulative "overhead" time: 2 hours
for
studio to van (strike studio), 2 hours for van to gig space (set-up gig), 2
hours for gig back to van (strike gig), 2 hours for van back to studio
(set-up
studio).  Perhaps I should seek professional help. :)   Perhaps I should
take up
the piccolo.  Perhaps I'm jealous of you guitarists with your "15 minute,
one
trip carries all, and I still whine about it" messages. ]  So I'm not
scared of
a little more additional time, but I don't want to go overboard! :)
Besides, if
I'm used to quad, in a pinch I could probably make do with stereo.  The
more
output channels I add, the increasingly harder this "downsizing" would be.

I want to create music (for lack of a better term) that must be experienced
live.  Although you could record four channels, most people don't have the
equipment.

I'm thinking that I could convert a joystick (from Digi-key or Jameco) to
produce 4 continuous controller midi data streams.  These would feed a
SwitchBlade unit and enable quad panning of a given input.  With the proper
tools (probably some programming on a laptop), I can share the quad panpot
among
different inputs.  The laptop would permit animation of the panning as
well.
I'm thinking that a Peavey PC1600x would work well for controlling the
laptop
which would then control everything else.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com