gig question

i am planning on dropping one of my several jobs and making an attempt to
get
a few gigs, playing small parties, nothing major........just some
back-ground
music.......i can not see doing this as a solo, so i must find a kindred
spirit to join me........i of course play the "un-mentionable".......and i
was wondering, what seems to work for those of you playing duet or
trio.......i have never played with another "looper", and what i intend to
do
is loop oriented material (more in a jazz vain).......mostly
improv......anytime someone posts that they have a gig, i wonder how do
they
approach this......do you do several sets, or a single set.......do you
allow
the "vibe" of the setting to direct your playing.......i know these a
vague
questions but i would like to draw on your experiences and input to plan
some
sort of approach to this project.......the last time i played out was in
the
early 70's at which time i just learned a lot of songs cole porter, billy
holiday, jazzy stuff, old chestnuts and a few of the current "hits", it
was
myself and a wonderful singer/flutist........we played fairly often, but
that
was then and my music, now, is quite different.......:)........this may
not
be the forum to discuss presenting loopish music to the public, so if
anyone
could shed some light on this please contact me off
list........thanks...........michael