Re: delay -> looper || player -> loopist -> musician

hi my name is jimmy george and i am a player and also a looper. my earliest
looping device was a pds 2700 1 sec. pedal from digitech. it was and is
still
used in many of the loops that come also now from the boomerang and various
patches of infinite repeat off my johnson 150 and my old 2101 x2 LE.

i've used loops under a second for recording textures as well as on stage.
it's
easy to bring the loops over to the boomerang from any of the devices.

looping to me is a very visual means. almost like a moving painting.
there's
beauty in repetition, especially random repetition like waves, or bringing
in and
out elements of time to perhaps a based motor loop. the nature of looping
i find
very meditative. not just in an ambient sense but also in the heavy loops.

i am now more interested than ever in the live applications for looping.
playing
heavily for the last few years has allowed this medium to be exposed to
many
people who don't normally get an opportunity to hear it. i bring  my
devises
through the house boards, which it times can be very challenging to make
work, so
that any instrument miked we choose to loop on can be easily accessed. i
use this
application as well in my solo shows. it gets it to the monitors easily
also. my
drummers used to wear headphones but have learned to get a proper mix from
their
monitors before we start instead. headphones can be bulky in the stage
heat.

looping in the beginning was more of an interesting necessity to enrich
the solo
shows. like song writing and playing motivates as therapy or to get laid,
looping
has evolved to be an intricate part of the show. sequencing has played a
large
part in commercial and experimental music for years. zz top, peter gabriel
ect. i
like to see looping evolve into it's own like it has for other 'subtle'
means
such as bass, jaco, acoustic guitar, hedges ect.

i find these discussions very intriguing to read and have followed for
some time.
i have learned much from just keeping up with all the mail posted. if
you'd like
to hear some of my looping in and inspired by in song check  my listening
booth
at  http://www.jimmygeorgearts.com/Music/NewCD/newcd.html

i would recommend tracks 'odysseys in black' and 'hard rain' to hear
actual loops
brought in and out and tracks 'in a scent' and 'utopia' to hear looping
inspired
songs. (songs that came from looping experiments.)

looping to me is a medium just cracked open. it reminds me of other
contemporary
means to express rhythmically such as rap or any of the various lyrical and
tribal sounds coming out today. my main influences such as phillip glass
and
brian eno remind me yearly where it can be taken. folks like belew and
fripp are
equally as exciting. id like to see the industry comply with our need for
devices
that can help us generate the next generation off musicians and music away
from
the statistic sales of  'sure bet commercial products' they like their
safety in
numbers and i don't blame them. we can be vocal though and express our
wants and
needs through forums like this and others to get what we want. 'gig'
magazine
does not advertise the cookie cutter products that most all music magazines
pedal. you do not have to buy his add space for a product review either.
the man
who makes my guitars, jamie kinscherff  http://www.kinscherff.com/ was
denied
reviews from 'acoustic guitar player' magazine because he would not buy an
add in
their publication. he was not even listed in their, 'official luthier
directory'
for texas luthiers.  mike built his boomerang because no one else would. i
am
unfortunately not as technically savvy and am more at the mercy like you.

check out the movie 'ground hogs day' the director and bill murry bring
looping
to the movies!

thanks for your time and hope all is well.

loop on!

jimmy george