RE: a dumb PC question

At ComputingCentral of MSN,
http://computingcentral.msn.com/Topics/Multimedia/DBList2.asp?ForumID=11&Cat
egoryID=3779 , you'll find lots of files like this.

Also, at http://davecentral.com/8966.html you will find a description of a
replacement for the file CDFS.VXD which will allow you to read the contents
of an audio CD as though they were straight WAVs.  Here's the text that
comes with it:

<<Use this alternate CDFS.VXD cd driver on Win9x to show Audio CD's as WAV
files IN THE FILE SYSTEM!  This replacement driver shows WAV files in a
variety of qualities.  It works on any CD drive that Windows can support.

Then you can use your favorite MP3 Compressor program to read directly from
the CD.

Never heard a skip or pop, unlike CDCopy or others...

Put it in your \Windows\System\IOSubSys directory, and reboot.>>

I have it myself and find it magical.  But I still found less things going
wrong if I *first* copy the WAVs to my hard drive before I use my MP3
encoder to convert the WAVs into MP3s.  The only downside I've found to the
CDFS.VXD file is that it doesn't retain any song or author information.
When the MP3s are created, I have to manually type in the names of the
songs, the artists, etc.  Otherwise I'd have a bunch of "Track02.MP3" and
"Track07.MP3" files.

For this I much prefer my CDex program, as it connects to an Internet
database that sends me all the song information automatically, then this
information is then used to create the MP3s.  So I get folders full of MP3s
with the titles of the songs, with minimum effort.