DL4 question

I've had my DL4 for a couple of weeks now and have noticed that it seems
to feedback and distort very easily (especially when adjusting the
feedback and regen).  This is especially true on the sweep echo and tape
echo settings (a slight adjustment and the signal goes over the top and
breaks-up).  This happens whether the DL4 is late in the effects chain
or the only stop between the guitar and the amp.

I'm not sure if that's just the nature of the effects, or if there's
something wrong here.  It just seems way too easy to make some truly
terrible noise quickly.  It also seems like using an expression pedal
would be very difficult to control without creating the same damaged
noise (not a good thing this time).  Has anyone had any similar
problems?

Thanks

Kevin