Re: four-channel output/surround reverb

Having considered Environmental Audio as a concept for performing some time
ago (but only recently being able to afford moving into that area, hehehe)
returned to those thoughts as a combination of Dennis' query, and perusing
the back panel of the Mackie 1202-VLZ I got last week... There are the Main
Outs, but there are also the Alt 3/4 outputs as well... What about this
idea, then?

Such that one has four outputs for four distinct channels, match this with
quartet of reverb/effects units for each.  It's not surround, but it can be
encoded for it a lot easier than a 3D-style two-channel recording, one
would
think.  As far as a performance device, I suppose this works a lot
better...
but as a pre-encoding process, what about that, O Audio Engineers Amongst
Us?  There's got to be an easier way than buying into pioneering,
bleeding-edge stuff that also costs an arm and leg...

As far as output, I'm going to be investigating the digital outputs from
the
SBLive MP3 card I've got, not only the S/PDIFs but the one reserved for
"Digital Output," which usually goes to a set of Surround-based speakers
like a Soundcraft or something similar.  I'm sure there's something similar
on the Layla/etc cards too... Hmm?

Stephen Goodman
EarthLight Productions * http://www.earthlight.net