Re: four-channel output/surround reverb

another way would be to implement a software solution. i visited some
lectures at the sound design department at the technical university in
berlin a year or so ago where they work on octaphonics. they showed us
software for "drawing" pans between the 8 speakers. of course, these
channels could contain "dry" signals or effect returns (e.g. reverb) or
whatever. the composers there have done many pieces requiring this
setup.

unfortunately, the music they do is very intellectual - you're usually
given a philosophical text to examine while listening to the piece - you
know, ram the information that is sound through the transformation
matrices of our brains's intrinsic perceptual encoding system.

and not to forget: stockhausen was doing really great things with
multisource sound back in the 60's (e.g. worldex at osaka).

l8ter,
rob