Re: Female Looper sighting! (also Listen to this)

I went Saturday & Sunday, and Pamela Z performed on
Sunday too with 2 other performers.  I believe she was
feedng the midi out of the bodysynth into MAX (MSP?)
to fire her samples (MAX & Apple laptops were
definately tools of choice there).

I certainly agree that the pure knob-twiddlers (read
laptop-fiddlers) left something to be desired in the
performance arena, but they certainly looked earnest.
Being able to map *some* sort of gesture to *some*
sort of sound production increased the interest factor
greatly, both for bitheads like myself and neophytes
like my friend who I dragged along.

On sunday night there were some interesting midi
controllers used - two light harps where breaking one
of several laser beams created note-on events, and
apparently the note value was determined by the
distance from the light source.  A fellow had a 'midi
jacket', something along the line of Pamela Z's
bodysynth where arm gestured created sound.  There was
also a cyborg-like hand controller (a glove with lotsa
sensors & wires on it) which was used to control
lights & samples with gesture.

Some of the electronic music aesthetics were a bit
cacophonous for my tastes, but the creativity was
definately there.  But by the time i left Sunday night
i was dying just hear something....maybe in the key of
G in 4/4 time.....

stephen