RE: Acid / AE

[Jonathan:]
> Click on the properties tab for the sample and change the number of
> '8th notes' from 8 to 7.

Ahh, thanks Jonathan .. I need never leave the house again .... :-)

One thing I did notice is if you have, say, a loop of 16 beats, and a loop
of 15 .. each @ 120 bpm, you can't specify the number of 8th notes as "8"
and "7.5" .. so you have to say "16" and "15" and double the bpm to 240 (or
as close as possible). Anyone found a trick for this? .. or is it just a
sign that I shouldn't be doing 15/16 polyrhythms? .. no remixing Trey Gunn
albums then.

[Michael:]
> I just listened to a CD of Autechre (Chiastic Slide) and they have
> very nice percussive electronic sounds. How did they create them?
> it doesn't sound like your regular drum machine.

I really like Autechre .. if you get a chance, check out "444" from the
"Incunabula" CD .. I love that track. Anyway, I think the lads rarely use
stock sounds of any kind .. they build the "drum" track from sampled and
treated sounds (like dogs barking etc.) and analogue generated sounds
(using lots of LFO tweaking). I've never read anything about how they
actually do it .. they keep a low public profile!
I've found Audiomulch is a handy tool for generating these kind of sounds
.. link up a load of contraptions and tweak the parameters until you have
something you like .. then export to a WAV file. You can start with a
sample in the "Loop Player" 'trap or start with an "analogue" style
waveform using the "10 Harmonics" 'trap. (still doesn't sound exactly like
AE, but a start)

John