RE: EDP tutorial

--- Kim Flint <kflint@annihilist.com> wrote:

> that's very kind of you to say. But how about tell
> us your way of
> understanding it? Perhaps that way makes sense for
> others as well, and
> serves to help them learn. Share your ideas!
>
> Matthias' and my way of understanding and describing
> is certainly not the
> only way. Hell, we don't even agree with each other
> half the time. :-)
>
> kim

Well, one of my favorite tricks with the edp has been
mentioned here before.  Kim says it's a bug, but I
think it's a feature.  This has to do with multiply,
and undo.

Build a small rhythmic loop,one bar, say 4 beats long.
 Then multiply that with while overdubbing with varied
playing (for example make 8 multiples or 8 bars).
This is the seed to try out the bug.

Take those 8 bars, use multiply again, and create a 1
bar loop (from just one of those 4 beat bars).  Then,
using undo you can step through each of the individual
4 beat multiples (8 bars) that you created when you
did the 8 bar multiple.  Often one or more of them has
an interesting sound that I did not expect.  This
works really well with looping drums and syncopated
sounds.

You have to try it to see how it sounds.

Using this process you can evolve a rhythmic track
with unpredicted variations that evolve into different
feelings from the beginning seed, but still sounding
connected to the orignal.

bret