Re: Looper or multitrack?:

Perhaps this wanders off topic, and i don't mean to imply any person in
particular, but i've noticed that alot of musicians (especially loopers,
perhaps?) are somewhat frightened by the aspect of 'documenting' their
music in a tangible form.  As long as it's in the ether, all is well.  Try
to actually record it, and some folks get all nervous and concerned about
'fixing' it.

Why?

I absolutely love recording...Gimme a studio, put a bathroom, shower, and a
comfy couch in there and you wouldn't see me for days or weeks...The
process of composing, editing, and finalizing my work is where the joy is,
and where attention to detail really comes into play.  For a dork who
doesn't know how to read or write standard notation, this is the only way i
know how to truly document my creativity musically.

Is 'recording' into a looper, with nothing capturing it other than the
power amp and speakers, your family, and the tolerant neighbors create some
sort of 'safety net'?  That you know even if there are mistakes, no one is
really hearing it but you?

I understand that feeling...often i'll be playing, or looping, and i'm glad
that no one is listening.  Like last night, i got a couple of processed
drum tracks going at the same time, and i like it.  My wife's response?
"that's really f*@%ed up"

However, i would encourage everyone to commit their work to tape, and let
others listen to it.  Or go perform it.  That's where the water's edge is.
It's a whole different thing to let others experience your work.  I find it
a reality check to see if my work is relevant to others.  If they don't
like it, which subculture of musical tastes will?  Any?  All?  If so, why?

whew...that was more than two cents.  And i've been a blabber mouth
already, today.

bye all,

rich