R: admittedly off-topic

> Ditto here.  I'm moving to England in September, and am going to figure
this
> out soon myself.  I'm told I should account for the total wattage of all
> devices connected to a single power strip, for instance, and get the
> appropriate converter that will accommodate that much wattage.  Right,
> folks?  Or are the 70s catching up to me sooner than I thought? :)

That's a good solution for AC gear; for DC items (eg., a DL4), I'd just buy
replacement wall warts on arrival.  You're less likely to make expensive
mistakes later on....though I've found that the wall wart generally fries
rather than the gear.

Any suggestions/advice
> on
> > getting a decent amount of gear, including a Line 6 DL 4 ( I thought I
> would
> > be vaguely on-topic for a split second) shipped over with me on the
plane,
> > customs hassles etc, and what I would need to buy to be able to use the
> stuff
> > through the mains in Egypt (220 V

My few experiences with Egyptian customs suggest that they could be pretty
difficult.  At the least, they'd want you to declare all gear on arrival,
and take it all out with you when you leave.  If you're actually moving,
they might want you to pay large amounts of duty.  Worth calling the
embassy
for clarification, I think.

Bruce Comens