Re: Can KYMA Capybara be used as a MIDI Sequencer?

Disclaimer: I'm a Kyma owner but not a MIDI sequencer owner.  Kyma is deep
and
highly customizable.  So here's my answer based on my knowledge/experience
with
the standard Kyma facilities.  Mileage may vary.

The concise answer is: no.

The more exact answer is: maybe, depending on what you want to do.

The Kyma/Capybara is incredibly flexible in responding to MIDI.  And much
less
flexible in creating MIDI although you can certainly do this.  I've
developed a
"Capture EDP Loop" object in Kyma, for example, that captures the current
loop
from an EDP.  [Pardon the following EDP jargon.]  It has check boxes to
select
post-capture behavior.  The choices are "Mute current loop", "Erase current
loop", or "Clear EDP".  These send MIDI messages to short press MUTE (a
note-on,
note-off), long press REC (a note-on, 0.5 sec pause, note-off), or long
press
REC followed by long press MULTIPLY.  So this sequence is controlled by a
state
machine I programmed into Kyma.  I found that sending note-on/off is easy
but
sending other messages is much more complicated.

Hope this helps.

What kind of behavior do you want for your MIDI sequences?

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com