Re: EDP input gain

>I hear a lot more user comments than what appears on this list, and in
>general I've heard just the opposite. The gain changes fixed people's
>problems, and there has been practically no issue with this since the
>production change was made. When it didn't fix somebody's problem, it was
>pilot error. Once they had some help in how to set their gain properly,
>they were fine.
>
>it's pretty simple, if your loudest signal is clipping, turn it down.
>kim

One thing I've noticed, and believe has been mentioned on LD, is that the
clipping is somewhat frequency dependent, in that high frequencies create
more havoc. Makes sense given the nature of A/D conversion...

Some settings on various multi-effects I've used, and one fuzzbox in
particular, definitely needed the input gain turned down more than normal.
In these cases the levels seemed very close, but the hi-frequency "skronk"
(scientific, huh?) of the distorted/overdriven signal would make the
Echoplex clip, and clip ugly.

At any rate, the trick in those fairly rare cases was to turn down the
input a little more.

Best-

Mark