Re: EDP input gain

If by headroom you mean dynamic range, then nothing
you do is going to increase the headroom of the edp.

I do not find the edp to have a "fine line between
managing to stay clean and losing it and distorting".
If the edp distorts, turn down the input level to the
edp.  Doing this does not make the recorded signal on
the edp any less 'clean' it just lowers the level so
that the edp does not distort.  If you lower the input
to the edp you may need to increase the output of the
edp to maintain unity gain.
bret

http://www.annihilist.com/loop/tools/echoplex/echoplex.html