Re: re-mixing/sampling

This got me to thinking of a little gizmo I've seen
for folks who frequently fly and get bomarded with
all the noise that goes along with it.  The gizmo is
a set of headphones connected to a small walkman-like
device that detects all that ambient noise and
retransmits it 180 degrees out of phase through the
headphones, thus cancelling the noise.

Now, I don't know how well these work, but I imagine a
relatively simple signal processor could do the same
and could be limited to a range of frequencies.
Unfortunately, this would effectively cut out whole
frequency ranges in a song instead of just a single
instrument.

Would it be possible, I wonder, to hook in waveform
analysis too, to isolate not only the frequency, but
the sound of an instrument and feed it back out of
phase?

Probably to difficult, expensive, etc., but it's
something to think about.

---
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear
 to man as it is, infinite."  -- William Blake

Todd Pafford   galen@erols.com