RE: re-mixing/sampling

The two possibilities you mention are possible, IMHO, with thorough use of
EQ.  Go parametric.  Go multi-band.  I know, someday it will be possible
for
a computer to isolate all the instances where the bass part, for example's
sake, is covered up by brass or voice, and "take" those layers out, much as
you in Photoshop isolate an element by masking.

Either way, it sounds like spending $10 million to drive to the corner.  Or
renting an 18-wheeler to transport your groceries from the supermarket to
your house.  Or [fill in the blank] to [fill in the blank].  You know what
I'm talking about.

IMHO programming effort should be focused on far more difficult things than
that.