Re: bad night, or: instruments

> I saw a webpage showing Fripp's rack, and was amazed that in his
>mega-buck signal path, with four Eventides (I think),

4 TC 2290's... a couple Eventides... a TC -Force... a couple Roland
GP-100's. Bunch of other midi, synth control and sound module stuff... and
the Whammy.

> he used a Digitech Whammy, which is about $125 new.  Isn't that like
>putting cheap tires on your new 'Vette?  Couldn't he find something
>better that did that job?  Isn't your signal path only as good as the
>weakest link?

If the best tool for the job is cheap... then cheap it is! I keep seeing
examples of players with just ok gear getting amazing sounds from it. (And
I'm not just talking "interesting... but not really pro"... I'm saying
they had it all happening...) That's also what makes things interesting...
the different ways we all go about creating.

I'd venture to say there really isn't something out there that does the
same job as the Whammy... Sure the G-Force does really smooth gliss-like
whammy stuff, but you have to program individual patches to get the
variety that instantly pops out of a whammy. It's really cool to put a
Whammy in front of your distortion which isn't where you'll find most
DSP's being used because that would sacrifice their other amazing
post-distortion processing options.

You're also not noticing his Roland GP-100's, which are digital COSM
(modelled amps and such). It's buffered, non-true bypass, and certainly
doesn't follow the old single cord into the tube amp paradigm. So many
might say he's totally cheesed up his signal path with digital crap.

He's also playing without guitar amps... into a pair of powered speakers
for monitors... and sending his signal direct to the house. Maybe cheesy
in concept to most "guitarists", but in execution, devastatingly
effective, and quite possibly the smallest, most elegant solution for the
job at hand when compared to the battery of amps, switchers, speaker
arrays, then racks required to accomplish the same job. He's got a LOT
going on for a single stack 'o rack!

> But it doesn't always work like that.  We use what we can afford.

I'm not so sure money is the object with his selections... (It is with
mine, but that's life!)

Best regards,
-Miko