Re: gearhoundism: cheap 'n easy samplers?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Furstenberg" <benway@cea.edu>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 3:21 AM
Subject: gearhoundism: cheap 'n easy samplers?

>     Let's say under $650, what has the most fun-to-fiddle-with and useful
> set of features for looping, spontaneous experimentalism with an
>emphasis on
> weirdness?  The thought started while playing around with an SP-202, but
> then a friend recommended a Yamaha SU-200 which is 44.1/16 and has auto
>beat
> matching.  Then the electribe sampler came out.  Then the Roland SP 808
>and
> the Yamaha SU-700 started to drop in price.  Should I wait for the
>Repeater?
> Should I consider a S/W sampler, like Reaktor or Unity?  Maybe this and a
> Peavey 1600x fader controller is the right combination of flexible,
> feelable, and fun...but not portably practical w/out a powerbook.

I was considering this route myself.  First, get a software solution
(Reaktor
which has an incredible feature set or the Bitheadz stuff - Retro AS1
and/or
Unity - which apparently doesn't have the sheer depth that Reaktor has - no
granular synthesis, for example - but reportedly has a much better realtime
performance engine).  Then make sounds with chosen software product(s).
Then
record phrases I like into a low-cost phrase sampler for live performance.

That was before I picked up my new toys.  Between my fretless Sustainer
guitar,  the crappy Zoom pocket preamp/effector for it, the Handsonic, and
DL4, I've pretty much met my requirements for what I want to do musically.

Paolo

Paolo