Re: Warez - A Rebuttal

In a message dated 9/10/00 9:13:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
gregor.zavcer@kiss.uni-lj.si writes:

<< If you sum up logic, sound forge,
 acid and waves npp for example you get a figure which is higher. It would
 take me more then 4 years to get the software i need. >>

Need?

Right now, I happen to have at my disposal a 16 track ADAT system, a ton
of
outboard gear, two computers for the studio, and wads of audio software to
cut, splice, tweak and burn anything I might record.

Do I NEED all this?
No. Years ago, I wrote and recorded songs on regular cassette decks, using
nothing more than the "line out" from my 10 watt Crate guitar amp. I
recorded
several demos from several different bands I was in using a $200 Peavey 8
channel mixer and a Tascam Porta 05 ($300 at the time). And I can still do
it
- I took some pedals and my second hand Porta 01 ($150 a few months ago)
work a few weeks ago when I worked a graveyard shift, and recorded some
songs
at my workplace during an idle 10pm-7am stint.

"Need" is a slippery slope. I know lots of people with decent gear who
"need"
this or that magic box to do their work. And the work never gets done. On
the
flipside, the band Man Is The Bastard managed a reasonable world-wide
audience and put out dozens of records while recording in their practice
space on a four-track, using the built-in mixer and one mic.

If you want to make it happen, you will. It might not sound perfect, but
I'd
wager that there is a way to get what you want with a little extra work,
instead of having a preset do it for you.

just my two cents.
- Bill
- Crossedout@aol.com