RE: Roland VP9000

>At 3 grand (!) it's pretty obvious that they want to keep all the units
>for
>themselves. I have no idea who would find this unit useful; there are
>>way<
>cheaper, and better sounding alternatives.
>
>bIz

At the LA Namm show last year, the VP9000 was definitely being
promoted to engineers and producers as a sonic surgical tool, IMO.
They were demo'ing how useful it would be in the studio to 'fix'
problems, like singers going flat at the end of a phrase.  So they
would demo how to bring the flat section back up into pitch.  Also,
they had demo's of how to do realistic background vocals and other
fix-it tricks, in order to speed up studio time and cut costs.  An
engineer with that box, Protools and an Antares Autotune box could
cover for a serious lack of talent in the studio!

I was really excited about it at first, but choked on the pricetag,
and tried to understand the UI at a local Guitar Center.  Finally
gave up...

Maybe they'll flop and we can pick them up used for a couple hundred
bucks in a few years.

rich