Re: software based Loopers

Great. I've got something I'd like some opinions on. I'm trying to decide
between getting Emagic Logic (4.5) or Steinberg Cubase VST (5.0). I'm
playing around with the Cubase demo and its great. But I'm wondering if
Logic wouldn't be a better choice? I've heard some not-so-good things about
Steinberg's support, but they do have the demo and a nice website at
Cubase.net.

I'd definitely be using the audio features of the sequencer and although I
don't have midi gear, I would be getting some softsynths in the near future
to use with the sequencer. I really like the Waldorf PPG Wave and the
Native
Instruments Pro-52 VST instruments. I'm wondering if it might not be worth
getting those two or a modular softsynth (like NI's Reaktor) and Logic Gold
or the plain-Jane version of Cubase as it would be close to the same price
as getting Logic Platinum or Cubase VST 32. Again, any opinions on this?

I would be doing some non-live looping of both audio and midi as well as
some recording and mixing, etc. And, since I don't have a keyboard, I've
been putting the midi notes in with the mouse, which is rather cumbersome
in
Cubase. Is this any better in Logic? My audio hardware is pretty basic: a
Soundblaster type soundcard. I'm not too worried about that at the moment
since the computer isn't a DAW and I don't plan on recording anything more
than "demo quality" guitar and bass anytime real soon.

Right now I'm running Windows 98 SE on a kind of old PC. The Cubase demo is
running fine with some VST instruments and effects going. I'll probably
upgrade it soon. I'm seriously considering getting a Mac instead of
upgrading for various reasons; a much more efficient user interface than
Windows being one of the main ones (check out http://www.asktog.com/ for
those interested).

I would be great if I could get some suggestions about this. Right now I'm
leaning towards Cubase VST 32, but for some rather superficial and somewhat
silly reasons. It would be great if anyone could give some real reasons
(extra features, possible better UI, etc.) to go with Logic instead of
Cubase. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ben Porter.

--

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:10:46   Matthias Grob wrote:
>Devious D_MasterMixer suggests:
>
>>Maybe we can get a thread going on about us folks who use software
>>based Loopers ? I am sure there are millions of us out there.
>
>go ahead, very interesting...
>real time?
>Midi or Audio?
>on stage, too? (or compatible to a HW looper for this?)
>synced to HW looping?
>--

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com