Re: OT: Klein wood, chambers

I have just ordered my Klein (9 months to build!) and I also originally
wanted chambered swamp ash. When I told Lorenzo what I was after tone-wise
was a super sustaining Tele that could also rock out he suggested solid
alder.
I'm still kind of in two minds, I've always played solid guitars but the
lure of that extra option is strong  :  )

Personally I find Basswood to be rather bland and characterless, though
I've
never played a basswood Klein, maybe alder would be good for you too?
What kind of tone are you after?

If you go to www.indoorstorm.com they have real audio samples of a
chambered
swamp ash Klein but I think it has P90-style P/Us rather than Barden. They
also have samples of a PRS and Les Paul on a different page, I found it
useful to compare the three. The chambered Klein sounded richer and had a
more compressed dynamic range, overall it sounded both more "hi-fi" and
sweeter than the LP and PRS. The Klein was brighter and fatter in the high
range and more controlled in it's dynamics, in a good way. (imho)

I was also tempted by the Transtrem but a few comments made to me by
members
of this list and elsewhere has put me off it for now. The general consensus
is that it loses some tone and sustain and it's a lot of setup/maintainence
work. All the machinery and rollers put me in mind of a Kahler system which
not only robbed tone big time but also screwed up the string tension so I'm
going to pass for now.
dt, of course coud not be parted from his TT and I have to say his tone is
great.
Martin Shellard