Vortex, Time Machines, & Midi + Ensign Pulver..Report to the bridge!

I played around with hooking up a midi/cv converter,
(a JKJ CV-5), with both the Lexicon Vortex & the
Digitech 7.6 Time Machine.

1st the Vortex...

The Vortex tap tempo will respond to a midi note
message via the S-Trig output of the converter. I
suppose this could be useful for controlling the
Vortex from a sequencer. All I had at my disposal for
testing purposes was a midi keyboard,(EVERY key acted
like a tap tempo switch), & my EDP. The EDP sends a
midi note on at the beginning of the loop. Unfortu-
nately, the message is sent too fast for the Vortex
to respond to. This led to my major contribution to
this list to date; which was, asking Kim for help!
Mathias came thru with his sync cable as a result.
I feel honored to be the ignorant bastard who caused
this.

The morph function of the Vortex can be operated via
a cv output from the converter. The cv source could
be an LFO on board the converter or even a pitch
source, ie: midi keyboard.

Since I'm a guitar player, the Vortex/converter
combination has been of little use to me. The LFO
control of the morph would be great; BUT, the LFO on
the JKJ CV-5 only gets down to a slow speed of .2 Hz.
That's a little too fast for my ear.

I've had a lot more fun combining the CV-5 with the
Digi 7.6. I send the converter's LFO to the cv pedal
input of the 7.6. I have an ART X-15 midi foot
controller hooked to the CV-5. The X-15 has two midi
cc pedals. One controls the LFO's speed & the other
the depth. The program change switches on the X-15
can be used to change from one LFO waveform to
another.
I know that a lot of Digi Delay users have fun using
its on board LFO to twist loops in a knot. You can
make all kinds of noise,(I mean that in a nice way),
by having a variety of waveforms at your disposal.
Just of the top of my head...the CV-5 gives you 2 tri,
3 sq, 2 ramp, 1 random, 1 sine, & several 8 step
waveforms. Most of the waveforms will sync to midi
clock. I've just begun working the EDP into the mix
for that purpose.

If Mark Pulver(our resident analogue synth geek &
CV-5 expert) is listening, maybe he can add a couple
of cents toward using the CV-5 for purposes other than
that which it was designed for. It seems like you
ought
to be able to do something with gates & triggers &
portamento, even if you don't own an analogue synth.
Motivate one's cat I suppose. :)

Oh, you can also run audio thru the CV-5 for volume &
panning control.

http://www.midiwall.com/synths/jkjcv5.html

=====
John Tidwell