Re: feedback and loops

from the  "improv + looping in Jungian analysis" posts:

>  > As EE and looper I tend to believe that there is no oszilation
>>  without feedback.
>>  I dont know how the tiny parts guys think about it.
>>  What is it really that keeps everithing vibrating? :-)
>
>prime mover?
>big bang?

hmm, the prime mover attacked a string a very long while ago and its
still sounding? :-)

>quantum mechanics says: heat and chance.

yes, but its no answer, since heat we can only define through the
movement and chance?

>i am only vaguely familiar with string theory,
>but these guys think all matter is energy oscilating in
>tiny loops. i agree that fundamentally there must
>be a feedback occurring down there.

yes, the most simple model for a string vibration is an energy loop
between movement and tension.
If you see the attack (additional) tension as input, that energy then
turns into movement (sound output) and then on the other extreme,
when the string stops again to change direction, the movement is
transformed into tension again, so it may be seen as feeding back the
energy...

The historic loops of peace/war or splitting/unifying could be
explained through feedback: The result of an action feeds a change of
behavior which then changes the situation so that behavior changes
again...

Maybe the problem with the word "feedback" is that in many loops its
not quite clear what is "back".
If we look at the time scale in our music loops, it might be more
correct to speak of "feedforward" (expression is used in engineering,
too), since we bring the sound of a few seconds ago forward to now
when its "fed back" into memory from where it will be read in a few
seconds...

How about feedarround? :-)
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org