Re: NPR

Robert Eberwein wrote:

> Who the *F* wants government money, to make art?

When I was at music school (CalArts), it was largely NEA money which was
responsible for bringing in visiting artists to do talks and lectures.
Just between '94 and '96 there were significant NEA cutbacks, which
resulted in fewer visiting artists coming in as guests.

> I'm much more interested in
> art made by people who have a need to make art.

Unfortunately, even people who have a need to make art need more to live
on than just air and praise alone.  Do you think it's a coincidence that
the US does so little to support arts funding, and simultaneously
happens to be a notoriously hostile environment for creative music in
comparison to other countries?

> I'd love to see NPR go under and I'm sick of having it held over
> our heads like someone is doing us a favor. The journalism there is
>about as
> objective as voodoo frenzy.

Public radio isn't just journalism.  It also involves a lot of music
programming which relies on either government money or listener
donations to be able to stay afloat.

> This whole reverent NPR [public money] mentality seems very
>unanarchistic to
> me...

You'd be amazed at how many government-related mentalities are devoid of
anarchist thought.

> Very unlooplike.

Is there a more loop-approved method of financing the arts that you'd
suggest as a viable alternative?  And when did anarchism become the
loopist's philosophy du jour?

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com