Re: new "radiaL" from Cycling '74

> cool new looping software from Cycling '74 to be coming soon.  Looks very
> powerful:
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/products/radial.html
> --
> *-=========================================-*
> Keith Rowley

I spent a bit of time down there in "Mac  alley" in Anaheim over the
weekend
too. Mostly to check out Max 4 and MSP 2, the long awaited sequels from the
cycling74 mob. Tres cool. The new scripting addition to Max 4 means that a
program written in Max can know write onto itself and other programs, i.e.
configure itself for different setups, morph into something completely
different
etc. etc.
Radial has been written so far in Max 4. I think they are attempting to
create a
product that will work right out of the box a bit more than Max does. A
lot of
people it seems are put off by having to spent long dark months inside a
programmers manual before they get something going (believe it or not), and
radiaL is a step in that direction.I was talking with the programmers down
there
about what constituted the "ultimate looping app" and the idea for them is
that
there isn't one. The ultimate looping app doesn't exist because  the
specifics
of the music are the things which ultimately determine the configuration
of the
app, and these are changing all the time as the music evolves. So their
idea is
that the ultimate looping app (ULA) is one which is "customizable" to a
large
degree without giving away too much of the "still works while groping
around for
it in the dark on the bandstand" factor.
I'll buy that. But its big flaw as far as I'm concerned has to be that no
matter
what sort of groovy interface it has, if the ULA only exists on a
powerbook it's
not really going to hack it on the bandstand at all. At least not until
they
invent a powerbook that is beer proof and can sustain being jumped on
repeatedly
(and has large twiddly glow in the dark knobs and costs about 200 bucks).
Anyway, we'll all get to see it some time.
Also down in Mac alley were two other quite interesting looking new apps.
Live   http://www.ableton.com is a kind of radiaL sort of deal that will
work on
a PC as well.
Melodyne     http://www.celemony.com caught my eye in a big way. This thing
looks really cool. And it works on OSX already.

L8r

Andrew