Re: Older EDP Prices Dropping?

>Boy, it looks like the new batch of Gibson EDP units from Alto Music has
>affected the going rate for Oberheim EDP's on eBay. I paid a grand for my
>Oberheim a few months ago. Now, I'm seeing them for base auction prices of
>$650. I have one out there for $750 with no takers.

I think it's a case of "used examples sell for less than new examples" and
"things in ready supply sell for less than rare things (or things believed
to be discontinued)".  A used EDP should go for about $500 given a ready
supply of new models for around $650.

In six months there will be used Gibson EDP's hitting the market and the
inevitable question will arise: why do the Oberheim EDP's sound better than
the Gibson ones?* (Gearhead kneejerk answer: because they're older!)
My advice is wait to sell your Oberheim box until then, and make sure to
mention something in the eBay description about um, "even harmonic emphasis
in the input stage op-amp", "tube-like warmth" and "pre-Gibson US model".
You'll get your money.

TravisH

*Note: There is no evidence that this is true.  Regardless, this theory
will
arise and be fiercely advocated.