Re: Need a hand with EDP sample dump

At 12:34 PM -0800 1/21/01, Mountain Man wrote:
>I'm trying to get the EDP to dump sysex data to cakewalk, and also
>trying to understand the dump process.  I could use a helping hand  :)
>I have a very cakewalk-specific "how to" question, and then a couple of
>more general EDP questions.
>
>I'm getting the sysex data on my PC, in fact I can monitor it using
>Midi-OX.  It's coming in 127 byte "chunks" .  I have sysex turned on in
>Cakewalk, with them max number of buffers set (128).  Also have midi
>echo turned off (stumbled over that one for a while! lol)   Cakewalk is
>definitely seeing the EDP, I can record continuous controller messages
>45 and 46 (some sort of loop timing info?).  When I try to record sysex,
>(either by using <you start dump on instrument> from the sysex view, or
>simply by hitting "record" in the track view), however, I don't see any
>data arriving.  I have no trouble recording sysex from other devices
>using the same procedure.  Is there something different about the EDP
>messages or communication that might be causing me a problem?

Hard to say what is wrong. We just implemented the midi sample dump spec.
The problem is that most manufacturers implemented it slightly differently,
or have bugs. So it is not much of a standard. Since nobody seriously ever
uses midi sample dump, nobody puts much effort into fixing these things.
(including us, to be honest.)  We got it to work with a variety of devices
and programs that we had available at the time, by doing necessay changes
and workarounds in the software for their implementations. We apparently
didn't have a copy of cakewalk then.....

>I've been finding the display on the EDP when dumping data confusing.
>the manual says that the numbers will show the percentage of dump
>completed.  What I'm seeing is a rapid cycling of numbers from 0 to 127,
>with a "d" in two different positions toggling back and forth (but not
>syncronized with the numbers).  I have no idea what this is telling me.
>
>Also, the manual says to expect that transmission time will be 10 to 15
>times the length of the current loop.  This makes sense to me.  I
>recorded a 2 second loop and timed the dump.  It took 3 minutes.  That's
>90 times the length.  At this speed, a 20 second loop will take
>half-an-hour to transfer.  Is my EDP working properly?

the slow transfer rate you are seeing is actually normal for midi sample
dump. this has nothing to do with the echoplex, sample dump is very very
slow. I've generally seen it to be around 85-90 times longer without any
handshaking (open loop), maybe 60-70 times with it (closed loop). I've
explained all of this before:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/199702/msg00128.html
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/199702/msg00129.html

or here, search for it all:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/LDarchive?query=echoplex%3B
dump&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=filelist&.c
gifields=case&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=restricttofiles

Frankly, you a better off not bothering with sample dump, because it is a
piece of junk. Record the audio directly to your pc. Then use a sequencer
to load it back into the echoplex by having the sequencer tap record, play
the audio, and end record. The audio fidelity won't be perfect, but the
transfer rate will be 1x the sample length. And the first time it is played
from the sequencer you could be listening to it, so you could say it is
even faster!

kim