Re: EDP Undo Function

Mark:
>A request for the long fabled update to the EDP software:

Nice suggestions, thank you.
You seem to think rather Quantized. We want the liberty to press any
function at any time and it should do it immediately (although we
also offer quantized).

>Could we have an option to change short press undo while in playback
>(rather than record or overdub) to mean undo back to before the last
>operation/redo the operation?

So in Overdub the function would be what we have now?
In Play it would for example go back to before the last Overdub was
started?
The long press function cannot be totally different because we start
the action before the long time is reached.

>I suspect that part of the confusion over
>undo on the EDP that comes up on this list (or at least part of my
>confusion at times when using it) is the trim the last layer behavior.

I dont quite understand... trim?

>Reading the manual, it suggests that when we run out of memory, if at
>all possible the pre-operation loop is preserved. In other words, if we
>have room for 3 loops in memory and we start with A and layer B followed
>by
>C followed by D in a single overdub, then memory ends up holding A, A+B+C,
>and A+B+C+D. Is this correct? If not, could there be an option to provide
>this behavior? We've obviously got to toss something out, and it would
>seem
>better to toss A+B rather than A.

due to the delay structure we use, all overdubed versions follow each
other in memory. So what you suggest is that we keep A separately
while running through the rest of the memory, so A can be called back.
This somehow fits to he new UNDO function you suggest above. We could
save a previous version of the loop (not necessarily the very first
nor before the last function) and come back to it later.
Then again, thats what NextLoop is good for:
Work with LoopCopy=Snd or NextMultiply and 2 loops. Thus you can also Redo.

To fascilitate this, I could make longUndo (if MoreLoops >1) switch
to the previous loop and erase the next, so next time you press Next,
LoopCopy=Snd causes a new copy.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org