Re: droning questions

For years I've had the wish to add sympathetic strings to the guitar. The
way
I'd imagined this being done would be to use two guitars. The first would
have
some sort of pickup for the six (or however many you have !) strings. This
signal would then be fed to another guitar - I think an old acoustic would
work
well here - maybe a 12-string. This is where my idea needs work, but maybe
the
Sustainiac string driver could be adapted. The sound from the first guitar
is
applied to the strings of the second one in a controlled way in order to
produce
sympathetic vibrations - I'd originally thought of doing this by fitting
the
guitar with an internal speaker of some kind, but a transducer such as the
sustainiac or a conventional pickup (fed from a preamp) may be persuaded
to work
in reverse. The sound of the sympathetic strings could then be mixed with
the
sound from the first guitar using a conventional pickup on the second
guitar.
The advantage of this setup is that you have a greater range of tuning for
the
longer sympathetic strings, and you can also adjust their volume with
respect to
the main signal. I have a feeling that the original Coral Sitar Guitar
relied on
the strings vibrating using the resonance (?) of the solid body of the
guitar.
This would probably work if you were standing next to a 200w stack (which
would
set the guitar and your internal organs resonating), but I doubt if they
create
any sort of discernible sound in most other situations - I've never played
one,
but I imagine that this is the case.
As with a lot of my ideas, this has languished without being put into
practice,
mainly because of the need for a suitable string driver in the second
guitar. If
anybody has any suggestions as to how this could be achieved, I would be
very
interested !

John Mcleod