Re: playing with a live DJ

>From: "Luigi Meloni" <Luigimeloni74@libero.it>

>I'm working with a pair of
>Djs since 1998, and I have never had that problems. The great thing is
>that
>sometimes we meet at the house of one of us just to improvise. And we
>don't
>improvise on some loops or beats they take with themselves. ....
>I think it is only a matter of being open-minded.
>Strangely I had more problems with drummers than with Djs.

I do completely improvised stuff with media sources. I guess I could be
called a DJ these days. (I do jockey discs, but my equipment is a far cry
from the standard DJ table.) I'm personally very happy to play with others
in an occasional, improvisational setting. I'm not very interested in
becoming a regular member of a "band" though. The reasons are:

-I have way too many projects and ideas to fulfill (including non-Dj-esque
ones) to commit to spending a large amount of time doing the same thing
with
the same musicians.
-Patters I've noticed with local musicians (LD'ers who I've met are much
better than these guys) : Guitarists (not often willing to let other
instruments occasionally be the "lead" instrument), Drummers (always want
be loud and rockin' - don't seem to have an appreciation for dynamics or
quieter moments), Singers (want to be the centerpiece of a band), and
other
DJ's (often want the rest of the band to just 'play along' with their
pre-recorded techno grooves).
-I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to actual songs.
-I'm not crazy about the idea of "Play this progression of notes 4 times,
then this progression 8 times, then play the chorus."
-I simply haven't met the right musicians yet. It would be really nice to
meet some musicians who play instruments outside of the standard
guitar/bass/drums/keys, or who would be interested in trying really
adventurous things (like trading instruments with other musicians in
mid-set).

Sure, sure I know. I'm being nitpicky. I guess I'm kind of stuck between
musical phenomenae. On one hand, I'm not particularly interested in rock
and
roll or dance music. On the other hand, I really don't identify too much
with the academic "new music" community.