Re: Basic intro

At 7:19 PM -0700 8/13/01, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>The most interesting Tiresias reference I ever found was in Peter
>Gabriel's "White Shadow" on his second solo album:
>
>       No one knew if the spirit died;
>       All wrapped to go, like Kentucky Fried.
>       Trying to read the flight of birds --
>       low on fuel, getting low on words.

Divining omens from the flight of birds wasn't specific to Tiresias,
though he probably served as a model for those who came later
(according to some, Tiresias was a contemporary of Cadmus and
therefore was late Bronze Age). Our own word "auspices" comes from
the Latin "avem specere" = "to see the bird."

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com