Re: S. Morse/Lexicon PrimeTime

At 8:24 PM -0500 9/2/01, Pedro Felix wrote:

>Anyone else here have the chance to catch Steve Morse live use a Lexicon
>(Super?) PrimeTime to loop passages?
>
>I've seen these models on-line but have never had the chance to twiddle
>one's dials and have no idea as to loop time or sampling rate, but SM was
>one of the first people I saw loop live with that thing going back to the
>D.
>Dregs' heyday.
>
>Anyone have some first hand experience they'd be willing to share?

Maximum delay for the Super Prime Time is 640 mS (standard) or 1.28
sec (with memory expansion) at X1 clock rate and 960 mS or 1.92 sec
at X1.5 clock settings. I don't know if there was ever any
aftermarket memory expansion that allowed longer delays.

There is a single delay line with two taps. Each delay tap has its
own feedback control and its own level control for the main output
mix. Separate audio outputs are available for Delay A, Delay B, Inpur
mix, and Master mix out.

The modulation LFO has a frequency range from 0.05 Hz to 500 Hz and a
3:1 sweep of the delay time. The modulation waveshape is selectable
as either sine or square wave, and may be be continuously varied
between either of these and an envelope follower that tracks the
input signal. Both delay sweep and LFO rate may be controlled with
external foot pedals and the LFO section has both signal output and
inputs.

The unit was pre-MIDI so it doesn't accept program change commands,
but it does have its own system for program storage and retrieval
that can be address with an external foot switch.   There are 8
factory programs in ROM and 32 user registers in nonvolitile RAM.

The front panel controls include a nice set of linear faders grouped
as an input mixer (main input, aux input, feedback A, feedback B, low
pass filter) and an output mixer (main input, aux input, delay A,
delay B, master output). The unit is 3U high, giving plenty of space
for these controls. There are also four rotary pots for LFO
modulation (manual sweep, depth, waveshape, rate) and two knobs to
set the delay taps.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com