Re: Racks (Re: Yet another beginner..)

My first rack was a plastic milk crate. Lots of people used the
square ones for holding LP's but I found a longer one that was just
perfect for my few U's worth of intermittent gear. I worried that
someday some responsible dairy worker would see the "property of
Lucerne" label on my stage rig and call the authorities. Fortunately
we drew the size of crowd that made this statistically highly
unlikely, and I lucked out. They never caught me tearing off the tags
on my queen-size sound baffles either.

Just recently I noticed that $9.95 "LACK" end tables from Ikea have
legs with exactly the right spacing for rack gear. Taking the
ultimate low-fi approach of mounting the gear right onto the table
legs with wood screws, this must be the world's cheapest rack you can
buy. In lots of different colors no less.

Totally useless for travel and hard to reconfigure without metal
threaded holes, but for a bunch of gear I never move, these things
actually work and look just fine.

-Alex S.