Re: Repeater noise problem

At 08:20 AM 9/10/2001, Tom Ritchford wrote:
>Our man Flint wrote (in part):
>
>>I was also looking at the audio routing diagrams in the back of the
>>manual and saw the direct audio path through Repeater actually does
>>appear to go through the digital convertors and through the DSP. Is that
>>correct? The direct audio path isn't analog?
>
>If it WERE analog, there'd be no way to cure the "wet/dry balance issue"
>in software, wouldn't you think?

No, I wouldn't think that at all. It is very common these days to design
audio products using digitally controlled analog parts. You can get
software controlled analog switches, analog multiplexors, potentiometers,
analog gain controls, matrix switches, simple mixers, filters, etc., and
they are pretty cheap. A lot of digital audio codecs also come with an
assortment of routing and mixing options that occur in the analog portion
of the part and are under software control. So no I wouldn't at all be
surprised if those options were available in Repeater and somebody just
had
to change a few register settings to enable them the way you want. Even in
the echoplex we did that sort of thing, using high-quality audio VCA's
under software control to switch audio in and out of the loop with fast
crossfades. We also did level control of the loop output in analog, since
it happens our D/A convertor had that function, and many of the analog
control voltages are routed around with digitally controlled analog muxes.

Although, if somebody were designing a direct analog audio path in a
looper, I would imagine they would naturally think to include a wet/dry
mix
control since you have to deal with mixing things anyway. Certainly if
you've spent any amount of time with guitar players and hoped they would
be
your customers, the idea of an all digital direct path should cause you to
shake in fear right down to your toes. They get worked up if you put an
opamp in their direct signal path, let alone A/D and D/A convertors!

kim