Re: EDP question/etc.

>First, a "looper theory" question -
>Does anybody know of a looping device that permits you to record your
>initial loop in REVERSE?
>
>I have been thinking about this a great deal and, so far, I don't think
>this
>is a necessary feature for any looper.  Every looper that I'm aware of
>requires that you record in the forward direction initially.  Can anybody
>think of a reason to record in REVERSE initially?
>
>It seems to me that you might want to record FORWARD then have the
>playback
>start in REVERSE.  But I don't see a reason to record initially in
>REVERSE.
>Comments?

In the new EDP version you can choose HalfSpeed in reset, so you can
speed up the first recording later, but for Reverse I did not see any
reason either.

>In the meantime, doesn't the Againator have a precognition mode?  I think
>you set the pre-loop delay to a negative value or something....perhaps
>it's
>listed under "look before you loop" in the index.

no, thats a future model called Notyetter

>------------------------
>
>Second, an EDP observation -
>In playing with REVERSE on the EDP, I got the UNDO LED to blink
>periodically
>and I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me.

II know, it looks like its speaking, but its just a stupid detail
that comes out of the way we do and allow UNDO. I suppress it in the
new version, just so it does not call attention.

>In sequence, do:
>1) Press RECORD; record a short loop.  Press RECORD again to initiate
>playback.
>2) Press PARAMETER (to select the Timing row).
>3) Press REVERSE (UNDO).
>         a) Loop playback reverses.
>         b) UNDO LED turns red.
>4) Press UNDO.
>         a) UNDO LED turn green.
>         b) Loop plays back forward.
>         c) The UNDO LED blinks off then on at the beginning of the loop.
>
>So why does the LED blink?  What's it mean?

When its on, there is enough memory to do an Undo. When its off, its
disabled, either because you overwrote the spot you want to go back
to (not your example case) or because you have arrived at the
beginning, at the first recording. After using functions like Undo,
Reverse, Retrigger, Next... it can happen, that the later part of the
loop still can be undone (so the LED is on), while in the beginning
of it there is nothing left to undo, so it ends up blinking with loop
time.
To really understand it, you also have to consider that we decide at
each loop end whether something new was added to the loop, and if
not, we do AutoUndo, basically the same as Undo, to prevent the
memory from filling up with the same unchanged loop. So when the LED
is lit toards the end of the loop, AutoUndo sets it back to the place
where nothing can be undone, so the LED goes off. Then toards the end
of the loop, the LED is lit again, because we did not decide yet
whether you did overdub or reduce feedback.
I know its confusing. I recently spent a few hours with Claude to
think it all through again and he ended up agreeing that we have the
most flexible version as is, so we just applied a little trick to
suppress the blinking in the case you mention.
Its all a result of the freedom to Overdub and Undo whenever you want
instead of thinking in entire layers as other designs do, which is
easier to understand but less intuitive :-).

I wonder how you treat all this in Kyma?
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org