Re: New Thread: Classical Music Influences on Us

At 12:29 PM -0400 9/25/01, KILLINFO@aol.com wrote:

>I really don't want to start any discussions about what "classical"
>really means

Good idea. I generally avoid the term unless referring to the likes
of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven. I prefer "art music" or "instrumental
art music" when speaking generally and when spanning style periods,
"new music" when speaking to those who know that I'm not talking
about "pop," and any of several more specific terms when I need to be
more specific.

Some personal asides:

>Arvo Pärt

I did sound for him at the Cabrillo Music Festival some years back.
I'd never heard of him before that, but the music director Dennis
Russell Davies often introduced us to important European artists.
Pärt was very solemn and monk-like. He had been director of recording
for Estonian Radio, and he spent much time wandering around the
festival tent listening to the quality of sound (I was doing some
reinforcement with surround reverb speakers). Pärt's music was much
more popular with the audience than the musicians, however, due to
the minimalism of some of the pieces.

>John Adams

I got to know John during my years in the Bay Area, and in fact he's
married to one of my college chums. He's a very thoughtful and warm
person. He's also very organized and disciplined about his composing,
retreating to his studio every morning and emerging at the end of his
working day to spend evening family time. He spent one year as
interim director of the Cabrillo Festival, in the summer following
the Gulf War. His programming included several performances of Arabic
music and dance, and many other works were solemn memorials. The
musicians jokingly referred to that summer as the "Festival o' Death."

>Bartók

I was walking down a street in New York a few years back and out of
the corner of my eye I noticed a plaque on the front of an otherwise
undistinguished apartment building. This proved to be a memorial to
Bartók, who had spent the last years of his life living there in
poverty.

>Lou Harrison

Lou lives in Aptos, California, just above the campus of Cabrillo
College. He was one of the founders of the Cabrillo Music Festival
and is a permanent composer in residence. He's a warm and gracious
person, and a man of diverse interests and boundless energy (despite
being 84). In his youth he was a dancer; he studied composition with
Henry Cowell; he was a close friend and collaborator of John Cage,
but they drifted apart when Cage embraced indeterminacy (Lou: "I'd
rather chance a choice than choose a chance."); he and his late
partner Bill Colvig have been mainstay of the American gamelan
movement and build several sets of instruments. Much of Lou's music
is now available, in part due to the efforts of Dennis Davies.

>Steve Reich

"Come Out" was one of those pieces of sound art that permanently
changed the way I hear. I saw Reich's "The Cave" several years ago in
New York. This work has particular importance today, dealing as it
does with the common heritage and divergence of the Muslim and Jewish
faiths.

>Igor Stravinski

I always enjoyed his setting of "The Owl and the Pussycat"

>Oliver Messiaen

"Quatuor" is a powerful piece, particularly when one considers its
origin. His musical language is unique, and his influence on
post-WWII music profound (he was a teacher of both Boulez and
Stockhausen).

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com