Re: professional loopers?

At 8:04 PM -0300 9/29/01, Matthias Grob wrote:

>Do you create music that could not be played (or presented at a
>suficient low cost) without loop technology and make a considerable
>part of the income out of it?
>Do you know such musicians that are not on the list?

Pamela Z comes to mind. Though I haven't heard her perform in some
years now, in the early '90s she was doing remarkable things with two
or three modest delays and voice. As her career has developed she's
been able to expand her performance resources, both technologically
and with increased human resources (such as her group The Qube Chix).

I've seen similar progressions in other composer/performers'
development. Paul Dresher is a good example, particularly since I saw
some of the early stages of his loopism. Like many of us in the 1970s
he was using live tape delay systems. He had a couple of funky tape
decks hooked up as a guitar system, and he started perfecting looping
techniques using the multitrack machines in the studio at UCSD. Then
in 1979 he and one of the Music Department techs, Paul Tydelski,
built a 4-track looping system out of a modified TASCAM 40-4 and a
VCA-based mixer controlled by 24 foot pedals.

Over the next few years Paul performed solo guitar gigs with this
system, and he used it in an ensemble context with the George Coates
Ensemble. After leaving that group he formed the Paul Dresher
Ensemble with drummer Gene Refkin and actor/singer Rinde Eckert,
eventually adding other performers as his financial resources and
musical vision increased.

At some point the tape system was retired in favor of (I think) three
Echoplexes, and in recent years I believe all the Ensemble music is
through-composed and performed live by a much larger group (perhaps
Kim can elucidate).

This is a good example of both economic and aesthetic evolution at
work. In the early stages his musical language was much more in a
"classic" minimalist mode and the more restrictive formal structure
imposed by tape-based looping technology was in keeping with the
style. After a few years the musical limits of both system and style
had been explored to a great degree and there was both a need and the
resources to expand into new stylistic areas.

P.S. While looking back to the '70s and '80s, I'll mention a couple
of composers whose principal work was created and performed with
loop-related technology: Ingram Marshall and Daniel Lentz.

Marshall's earlier works used a recycling delay system based on a
pair of 4-track decks with the tape threaded between them, and most
of his work of that period was preformed solo or with one or a small
number of live performers. Like Paul, Ingram began to explore the
implications of delay and repetition using expanded performance
resources, both with and without live electronics.

Daniel Lentz based many of his works of the '70s and '80s on tape
systems. He used a process of accumulation to build up musical and
spoken phrases out of fragments, initially with analog tape and later
with digital multitracks. I'm not sure of his specific technique
during the analog period, but the digital versions  were performed by
successive record/rewind/overdub. I haven't heard any recent work,
but he also seems to have expanded his performing forces to be able
to accomplish similar musical processes without the use of recording
technology.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com