intro and newbie questions

Greetings all,

I'm just beginning to get into the world of sound exploration, and I'm
looking for a little advice and direction. Mainly I'm curious how to go
about creating the drones and washing feedback noize I hear in some of my
favorite music. (dvoa, not breathing, aube, etc...)

Are loud walls of noise more a product of the gear, the sound source, the
technique? Are most drones simply looping samples? When I hear a beat or a
melody, I can imagine how it was constructed, but not so with these other
musical elements that I love...

any advice appreciated..

-matt

http://technosnob.com