RE: Copyright (slightly off-topic)

At 10:45 AM 10/29/01 -0500, Mike (CarlJacobson@cakewalk.com) wrote:
>You do not have to obtain permission to cover a song live. Most venues in
>the US pay a blanket license to ASCAP, BMI (and in some cases SESAC). This
>allows any music covered by those performance rights organizations to be
>played by anyone muysicians, DJs, jukeboxes, pumped in radio etc.  If the
>person isn't covered by one of those organizations, I would not worry
>about
>it anyway unless they happen to know them and they would get angry at you
>for playing their songs.

To clarify what Mike wrote: Maybe practically speaking you don't have to
obtain permission, but legally you do.  IF the venue in question has paid
royalties to one of those agencies, THEN permission has already been
obtained.  Otherwise, technically, you're probably not allowed to cover
the song (whether or not there's any chance of that being enforced).

- Ken
kenzo@free-music.com
ken's last ever radio extravaganza http://free-music.com/ken/extrav/