Re: music tools

Ah ha! That's STEIM! They've been around for a long time and have always
been an bleeding-edge r&d organization that promotes and supports
experimental music. Back in 1994 and again in 1998 I visited them in
Amseterdam. They were working, at the time, on a variety of alternative
midi input devices. one was a suit you wear with sensors that send midi
depending on how you bend. I saw a performance using this suit at the
Knitting Factory in New York. Pretty amazing stuff.

Since the Europeans are generally ahead of their time in these regards,
its
doesn't surprise me that their software is made for a Macintosh. Mac's
have
always been a best-pick for European experimental hardware prototyping. I
think it's because the mac had a more integrated and supported hardware
architecture than many other machines. Atari's were also used a lot and in
fact the first top selling commercial midi sequencers were made for the
atari exclusively: first was Steinberg Pro24, which I owned and then CLAB
Creator/Notator which because Emagic Logic. Both of these I used when they
came out in around 1988-90. I am currently a Logic Audio user, on a mac of
course. ;)

I am going to check out this Steim stuff. I have a spare PPC604 CPU and if
it can work on that I might dedicate the box as a steim engine.

plexus