mic rant - the aftermath...

first off, wanna out myself that i mis-speaked:

the mic i referred to as the "AKG C-87 mkIII" is actually made by audio-technica, and it's mkII. it's characterized by a-t as "unidirectional". (sorry about that - i get so excited when i see the word "C-414"... i just go all akg on myself!)

now! onward!

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 11:07:01 -0800
From: Mark Sottilaro <sine@zerocrossing.net>
[snip]

And while I'm at it, one of the best cheap mic values I've ever come
across is the $50 RadioShack PZM. If you come across one in your
travels, pick it up.
<

now, i'm pretty sure those were discontinued - but they were awesome. _especially_ at the price, and also because they offered a AA battery option... yeah, if you find, get.
now, crown themselves make 2 or maybe even 3 different flavors of pzm, one of which seems to recall the radio shack ones.

things to note about the the radio shack variation: they came with the cable hardwired into the mic, almost an accident waiting for a place to happen if you are not consistently careful about packing them up. and that hardwired cable terminated in an unbalanced 1/4inch plug - so convenient! yet so limiting... and since the AA battery casing is an integral part of the cable, you really want to be careful with them, it's a bitch to swap a new cable for a crapped-out one.

i'd be pretty sure that the lo-end crown ones STILL aren't as cheap as the radio shack ones were, but pzms are almost always the kind of thing you like to have around.

THEN!