pedalboard wiring: layout and noise issues

Hello all,

A while ago there was a pedalboard thread going here. I'm in the process of
trying to put together a pedalboard for my (at present) 9 pedal setup,
including Headrush, PDS-8000, and Boomerang (so we're on topic). I've come
across some problems and wonder if any of you have experienced same, and/or
have any solutions.

Most of these run through the effects loop in my Carvin Nomad tweed amp.
The
cables from effects send and return seem to act as antennas, and can pick
up
a lot of hum depending where they are placed (near AC cords, or near some
wall-warts is usually the worst). I've tried different cables, including
George L, and it gets no better. This will obviously affect the layout of
send/return cables, as well as placement of the (inevitable) power strip
needed for my 4 wall-warts, as well as 2 line 6 plugs. Most pedalboards
I've
seen have the power strip on board, but I haven't yet found a good
(noise-free) spot for it.

Signal chain at present is:

Effects send--headrush--DL4--MM4--Boomerang--PDS8000--(sometimes into Zvex
volume probe)--effects return. There is also a Voodoo labs Pedal Power (to
power the PDS and a tuner), located behind the line of pedals.

I'm also using two Digitech Whammy pedals at present (XP-100 and space
Station), which seem to work better between guitar and amp, not in effects
loop. The problem there is the gain structures--going from Space Station to
XP-100 to amp it's tough to get just enough signal to properly drive each
pedal (so I'm getting green on the input lights). This also raises noise
level slightly, and in combination w/ noise from the effects loop, is
enough
to be annoying. I'm trying to avoid using a noise gate (too many pedals
already).

I'm also looking for a way to build my own pedalboard. I'm intrigued by the
pedaltrain concept--lightweight aluminum-type rails. Does anyone know where
to locate this (or other desirable type ) of stock?

So that's it. In a nutshell, the problems are:

-placement of effects send/return cables--avoiding ac lines/power strips

-minimizing noise, both between effects in effects loop, and those straight
into amp.

-pedalboard stock

Any Ideas? Have any of you successfully dealt with any of these issues?

Thanks,

Paul