Re: VERY interesting article!!!

The article wasn't too rich with detail but they made a big claim about no
latency - this just isn't physically possible when converting low bass
notes
to midi.  But converting analog to digital is no problem.  So my take on it
is that the main reason for ethernet on a musical instrument would be so
the
analog to digital conversion could be done on the instrument as the notes
are played.  This would mean every thing down stream from the player would
need to be digital.

Now I suppose the instrument could also generate midi signals (especially
keyboards - no conversion necessary) and those could also be sent out on
the
net.  But I believe that this is not so much a replacement for midi but a
unification of analog and midi into a common digital transport.

Overall a pretty cool idea.  But I hope it doesn't leave poor teenage kids
and their garage bands out in the cold.  Then again what a market this
would
create for pure retro analog instruments, effects, and amps.

-Allan