very OT: Re: Soundscapes/Frippertronics debate postscript

pbadore@rochester.rr.com writes:
>I don't like people left and right e-mailing my private address.

as it's been a while, i can't really remember why i emailed you, privately
--- maybe it was because this had become so clearly 'off-topic', maybe it
was
merely another of my mistakes.

pb>I dislike LD for printing them.  I occasionally make exceptions but
this
is not one
>of them.  During this past month I debated whether to reply to this or not
>and have obviously decided.  I would appreciate it if you would leave me
alone
>after this, and if you attempt to do otherwise I'll delete your message
>unread.  Feel free to submit a copy of this to LD as I don't feel like
>resubscribing just for the sake of one letter.

i'll admit that i'm confused, here, again --- maybe you could let me know
if
you receive this email;
i will post it to LD, w/your post intact --- as maybe you'll only see it,
there, presuming that you continue to scan the LD archives.....

pb>> >What about *interpretation*, the key issue here?  I resent your
sarcasm
>> >represented by the asterisks,

dt>> on the subject of interpretation --- i use asterisks in my email to
merely
>> *stress* a word, not for sarcasm.
>> i'm not a sarcastic guy.

pb>I seem to recall "elecTORNica".  Everyone is sarcastic one way or
another.

that wasn't meant as sarcasm, just cheap humor.

pb>There is also no need for you to stress anything.  Just write your
messages
>straight.

well, that's how i speak, as well --- with exaggerated dynamics; though, i
have often been accused of verbal ellipsis.

pb>> >but I also apologize if I wasn't clear enough
>> >at the beginning.

dt>> don't worry; we're just talking, & i apparently misunderstood  your
>> intentions.

pb>> >I assure everyone I'm not crazy or making this up when
>> >I say I found a few downloads on either LD (might have been CD1 but
>they're
>> >deleted) or off Elephant Talk but can't recall exactly where.

i *certainly* never said nor implied anything about anyone being 'crazy'.

pb>> >Earlier
>> >today
>> >I made a search but to no avail.  But these people labelled their work
>> >"Soundscapes" in relation to KC material.  Hence my comments.

dt>> is that where this started?
>> again --- i had no idea that this is what you were talking about
>referring
>> to ---
>> confusion.

pb>Then why did you get involved in the first place?

i got involved, as i was tweaked at the thought that someone (whom i
thought
was new at LD) might mis-perceive *all* loop-people to be dedicated to
slavishly aping robert fripp's 'soundscapes';
i was not aware that you were specifically referring to downloads at a
particular website;
my mistake!

pb>I've looked at the
>archives and notice there's rarely a subject you haven't added your two
>cents to.

well, this may be wrong, but..... i am trying to continue w/some kinda
participitation in/contribution to the looping-'community', and, since i
do
this looping-thing pretty much every day, i figure there ought to be
*some*
useful-to-somebody-bits in a portion of the crap that i spout..... but,
maybe
not:
that's one risk that i continue to take --- that of being an ass, and
publicly so.

pb>The original subject was "KC in SF - No Loop Content".  Naturally
>Crimsonesque & Frippesque terms were bound to be used.  Aside from our
>argument I've probably inputted about three times and only if it's
>something
>I was familiar with.  You don't see me blabbing about David Torn, do you?
>Unless, of course, he tried to attack me with some stupid
>misinterpretation
>of my comments!  If you don't know or care to know about something, STAY
>OUT
>OF IT!!! (Now THAT's stress!)

pb>> >But

dt>> why, but?

pb>Why not?  Again, I don't really want to know.

pb>> >let's put your original thoughts in a proper perspective.  If I said:
>> >"Hey you motherfuckin' asshole loopers!  You don't know shit about what
>> >you're doin'!  All you're doing is copying soundscapes which was
>invented
>> >by the great Robert Fripp years ago after he created Frippertronics.
>> >Copycat candyasses!"
>> >NOW I deserve every counterattack from the past couple of days!
>However,
>> >I accept your apology; but please keep in mind you started a precedent

dt>> if i started a precedent, that precedent was not meant as a personal
>>attack,

pb>But ya DID, Blanche,  ya DID make a personal attack!

well, that was truly unintentional;
i thought that i was addressing what appeared to be an 'issue' --- at
least,
for me.
and:
i have every hope & confidence that your personal & musical contributions
this screwy world are broadly valuable, either now or in the future.

dt>> just my thoughts & responses presented in this environment which
>encourages
>> the exchange of ideas.

pb>Yeah, at my expense.

that's not at all what i meant to do; that's the mistake for which i
apologise.

dt>> i am indeed sorry that you perceived it otherwise;
>> i meant no personal harm.

pb>> >that
>> >fortunately is now waning, aside from Sottilaro's continuing
>childishness
>> >which has long worn out  (even I stopped the hanky lines).  Our society
>> >today enjoys attacking itself and who cares if there's no real reason
>for
>> >it?

so, why, then, would you stoop to attacking mark sottilaro's innocently
good-humored posts?

dt>> actually, there was a reason for my response, which i tried to make
clear.

pb>No, you didn't.

i *tried* to make it clear. to reiterate:
i was tweaked at the thought that someone (whom i thought was new at LD)
might mis-perceive *all* loop-people to be dedicated to slavishly aping
robert fripp's 'soundscapes';
i was not aware that you were specifically referring to downloads at a
particular website;
my mistake!

pb>> >I'm also sorry I wasted everyone's time, including my own.  Once I
had
>> >gotten everything together I was hoping to put something on LD, but
>now
>> >everything's gone to waste.  Perhaps in time I'll either return or -
>more
>> >likely - find another outlet for my music.

i sincerely hope that you find an outlet for your music, at LD or
otherwise.

dt>> while i'm not sure that i consider LD as an outlet for music, it is a
good
>> place for expressing ideas / information / thoughts, as regards looping
>&
>> such; there are *many* threads besides this one (see the archives), and
>> think it might be the only net-place that is really loop-centric ---
>> sorry if you are somehow dissuaded from hanging.

pb>"Somehow"??  I'm a villain because of your assumption and don't argue
this!

i certainly do *not* perceive you as a villain!
i perceive you as someone with whom i've had a somewhat obtuse verbal
misunderstanding.

pb>I admit I'm hardly what you'd call a professional, but does that mean
people
>of your caliber need to look down your noses at people of mine?

i do not 'look down my nose' at you; i was --- or, so i thought --- trying
bring another perspective to the discussion.

pb>It strikes me odd that you have so much time on your hands to
participate
in this!

huh?

pb>Even Fripp only contributes to ET once every few years!

..... does that statement imply that you believe that i should, as a rule,
follow his example? while i love & respect RF, that is not gonna happen:
different strokes, etc.

pb>I am disgusted that LD has turned into both a forum for you (a lot of
gushing)

well, if ya hung around, it'd be a forum for you, too..... as it seems to
be
for other folks.

pb>and a commercial site for the Repeater

actually, i'd say that the majority of posts relate directly to the EDP,
though repeater has (naturally, due to its recent release date) made a
strong
showing, as have the jamman, boomerang, line6, orville, bossRC20, kyma,
acid,
headrush, etc etc.....

pb>(a piece of shit, if you ask me).

while not perfect -(but what looper is everything, to all users?)- i'm
quite
happy with my repeater --- it's been a very, very useful tool, for me,
among
others.

pb>I used to work voluntarily as a DJ at a radio station in the Rochester
>Institute of Technology and found nothing there but a bunch of technical
>yesmen who all said the same thing.  That's why I left LD:  Last month
>was a rerun of those horrible days (although I gotta admit, the debates
>that
>resulted did bring some humanity to the dullness).

i'm sorry to hear of the recall of bad memories, and of the dullness.

dt>> best,
>> dt / s-c

pb>I'd hate to see your worst.
>PB