Battery Powered Preamps?

>>> Rick: I Use a Raven Labs PHA-1, which is an instrument preamp, in my
>bass
rig.  Outstanding unit with 100 hrs. or so on two 9v batts.  Being an inst.
pre, it only has unbalanced ins (but two, discreet inputs) and also doubles
as a nifty headphone/practice amp with two headphone outs and a sidechain
(parallel) aux loop. and 1/3 rack size (small and portable)  Dead
quiet..superior headroom, pristine sound.  Don't know exactly how it would
work with a mic...but I could try it out!  Either need to use an adaptor to
go from low/xlr to0 high imp/1/4"..or a specialized cable with XLR on one
end and 1/4 on the other....
Max<<<

Definitely second the raven Labs endorsement - amazing quality gear for
relatively little dough...

For a Mic, you might want to try the Master Blender - that way you get two
channels to blend into one, one has the right impedance for a mic (and even
the option of Phantom Power methinks) and the other is better for a pickup
-
could be just what the doc ordered. separate three band EQ for each, option
to have FX loop on both, or one on each, LXR out, jack out, and it may, if
asked nicely, scan your computer for malicious viruses and filter LD for
off
topic content to save you having to read it... :o)

big up to Raven Labs, says me - I've got their Mixer/DI (MDB-1),
Preamp/Headphone amp (PHA-1) Master Blender and DI Box - the only one I'm
missing is the True Blue EQ, which is also a fantastic little, and may well
end up in my rig before too long... :o)

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk