on the road

hi folks. i'm doing a new year's eve show at a friend's warehouse in
brooklyn and i have a question for the more experienced about gear safety.
have a ride up via another attendee's rental car, but we haven't booked the
ride back yet. i could go either by train (amtrak) or by bus (greyhound).
amtrak is naturally more expensive, and at least in this case might create
bigger hassle getting to/from the station. greyhound is way cheap for this
one way trip and i've used them before, but never with my actual equipment
along for the often bumpy ride.

details:

case one: skb pop up mixer case, used but good shape, holding mackie cfx-12
and all cables.

case two: gator case 6 RU roller rack, holding patchbay, power
conditioner/supply, repeater, RNC compressor, and Mo-FX. since all units
are
shallow the negative space will probably be filled by a kaoss pad, and
headrush, i'm thinking of velcroing them to the sides or inside the back
lid. i'll probably fill remaining space in each case with clothes in lieu
of
a suitcase to save space and give a little extra cushion.

my carry-on will probably be a little roller case i found  with a discman,
minidisc recorder, and a couple of circuit-bent items.

i'm planning on laying things out tonight and tomorrow for a test play,
maybe i'll eliminate a few items for simplicity in the process, but
basically my question is are non shockmount cases safe enough for buses?
and
actually, are trains any safer? i may have no choice but i figured i should
ask. ideally of course i'd just drive, and have more space for toys, but
that's not a safe option at the moment.

any advice is quite appreciated!

Jon