Re: Expectations, artifice, and a hell of a can of worms

Wow...all I can really say is thanks to both dt and Andre for the in-depth
threads
like this where we can freely exchange ideas and see how others interpret
this form inwhich we work.
Now onto the points:  David, I surely recognize your point:

> > i'm not so sure about that.
> > these days, it seems there's been a kinf of amplified resistance
>towards
> > 'challenge/surprise', in the ongoing musical balancing act 'twixt that
>half
> > of the equation & the other: that of 'fulfilling expectations'.
and I have experienced the same.  But it has been my greater experience
that
the audiences which I play to almost need to be challenged and taken to
some
new listening experience.  Granted, my core audience is different and most
likely smaller than yours, but I have found this to be true.
When I first started doing loop shows, I was using a drum machine to
handle
the rhythmic sequences.  I later added a 2nd drum machine and wonderful
sequenced polyrhythms to put my loopage against.  My set was made of some
solo bass/loopings stuff and then some more "complex" things using the
drum
machines.  I found that during the solo bass/looping part of the show the
audience was rapt in attention.  Perhaps part of this was a "what the heck
is he doing?" interest...but an interest nonetheless.  Once the drum
machines kicked in about 80% of the audience was lost.....they went to
sundry conversations, to fetch beverage...or just up and left completely.
This perplexed me for some time.  Seeking higher consul, I learned of a
general distrust in our audiences for the technological aspects of what we
do.  Say what you want about the Madonna tour or NiN, but I think a large
number of those audiences really do not, nor want to, know about the acres
of technology necessary to bring those (same, repeated) shows off night
after night.
My own looping shows are MUCH smaller, and more intimate...as is probably
the case for most of us on LD.  In that case in it much more difficult to
hide the technology of our process.  What I try to do is bring some
humanity
to that technology. I did not mean to imply that, by explaining or
bringing
the audience to the looping event, the gig should become a lecture or
clinic
on looping techniques, but to merely help point out to an audience who
might
be already wary of flashing blinking lights, that these are tools which
impart, or can impart, a level of humanity into a complex musical
equation.
This might be by making a blunder...an obvious train wreck and then taking
the audience thru the fast track explanation of what's going on...not
going
too deep, just enough to let them know that the looper-box is really just
tool (read:extension) of the musician using it.
Which brings us to Andre's tale of the mediocre musican and the ultimate
rig.  I have always believed that is not the gear you use, but how youuse
it.  Our creativity, and our abilities and talents on our chosen
instruments
govern the depth ( emotional, spiritual, intellectual etc.) of our
artistic
expressions.  We all get GAS, sure...but in the end isn't it better to
keep
it simple?  There might be a line of thought for the person who atarted
this
thread (Newbie)...keep it simple.
By the way, I dropped the drum machines from my set-up, and now play the
percussive parts on my bass, into my JamMan, and take it from there.
Audiences love that!  They get to witness someone mangling a bass
(aligator
clips, chopsticks , mutes etc.) and getting some wonderfully crazy sounds
out it!
Certainly I have could have continued using sequences, but the directness
of
inviting the audience to witness, and sometimes take part in, the creative
cycle greatly enhances my performance.

>Max: Are there specific venues/types of gigs/types of audiences that
>you've found to be surprisingly open (or opposed) to doing your thing?
>(I'm also really curious as to venues you like for doing a solo live
>looping thing, here in LA...)
Andre--- I haven't yet ventured too much into LA Propper (as if there is
such a place), as a solo player yet.  Have done shows in the Valley, Santa
Clarita, Lancaster and Bakersfield.  Pretty much coffee houses, Art
Galleries, Restaurant/cafes...and the crafts show/fair thing, which is
really very nice.  In thisenvironment, the intimacy I was speaking of
really
goes to the fore.  So much so that one of my "tricks" of late has been to
ask the audience to submit some chords ("pick a letter between A and
G..."),
which then I throw together into a  progression and begin an improvisation
with loops.  Of course, someone alwys seems to call out "C#minor"...but
then
I know there's a musician in the house.
One thing I would like to bring out now is that all this chat has been in
regard to "solo" looping.  I do a lot of this, but one thing it has
enlightened me to is how much I miss the interaction with other musicans.
On the Solo Bass Looping Tour this summer, Rick Walker, Steve Lawson, and
Michael Manring all played, as a trio, with their JamMan's all sync'd via
MIDI.  That's three or four loopers at once, and to throw it all sideways
Rick and Steve had DL4s (Steve even borrowed mine one night to use TWO
DL4s)
running non-sync'd!  To see and hear that (and it was all improvised) was
mind-blowing experience.  A brilliant exhibition of the musicians' skills
(namely: restraint!!)...and some wonderful, magical music.
Are there others out there on this list who work with multiple loopers
(that's players, not machines)?
This has been a great thread.....very inspiring as I am in the moment of
some introspection regarding my own work and approaches......
Max